Posted On: 02/19/21 6:54 PM
The Cedar City Showcase is the premier grassroots event of this weekend. Featuring 16 local teams, and 25 games, the evaluation event offers a great opportunity for players to showcase their talents. The two-day event begins on Saturday at 3 pm and concludes on Sunday evening. In this article we breakdown some of the most anticipated matchups at the event.
- Hard 2 Guard v LV Shooters 17U – Could be the premier game of the weekend. H2G is bringing one of the top PGs on the West Coast in Tavionte JacksonTavionteJackson6'1" | PGLas Vegas | 2022State#189NationNV, the shooters have one of the top rising 2022 players in the state in Dontrell JohnsonDontrellJohnson6'5" | PFBonanza | 2022StateNV, add in Kiree HuieKireeHuie6'8" | PFDesert Valley Prep | 2021StateNV and Jaycob McBathJaycobMcBath6'0" | PGDesert Valley Prep | 2022StateNV and the Shooters bring a loaded squad. H2G’s 17U team dominated last summer, and now face their first test of the new year. In addition to Jackson, they have Anthony PittmanAnthonyPittman6'0" | PGBishop Gorman | 2022StateNV to lock up the perimeter, the rebounding and rim protection of Lorenzo MooreLorenzoMoore6'4" | PFCanyon Springs | 2022StateNV, and the defensive versatility off Donte TurnerDonteTurner6'2" | SFCimarron | 2022StateNV.
- Team Rogue v Elko – The rubber match of this 3 game series is can’t miss basketball. Elko won up in St George in December, and TR returned the favor last month in Cedar. Now they play the tiebreaker. Faith brings Eastern Washington commit, Coleman LemkeColemanLemke6'7" | PFFaith Lutheran | 2021StateNV, while Elko counters with top 10 c/o 2022 stud Michael KlekasMichaelKlekas6'3" | SFElko | 2022StateNV. The game may come down to the play of Jackson WilliamsJacksonWilliams6'2" | SFFaith Lutheran | 2021StateNV, and Sean KlekasSeanKlekas6'0" | PGElko | 2021StateNV. Williams is a rangy versatile defender, who finds ways to score, while Klekas is a heady PG and team leader.
- OTTG v Hard 2 Guard – It will be a tough night of competition for H2G. Their matchup against OTTG is dripping with intrigue. These teams know each other well and are mirror images. The staffs have worked together, and the players know each other well. The Damion ByrdDamionByrd5'10" | PGSilverado | 2022StateNV Tavionte JacksonTavionteJackson6'1" | PGLas Vegas | 2022State#189NationNV matchup should be exciting, Naurese MenoNaureseMeno6'3" | SGLosee | 2021StateNV battling with Donte TurnerDonteTurner6'2" | SFCimarron | 2022StateNV, while playing against his his high school coaches team will be fun and Brandon RuizBrandonRuiz6'5" | CCentennial | 2021StateNV and Lorenzo MooreLorenzoMoore6'4" | PFCanyon Springs | 2022StateNV banging down low should grab attention. Keep an eye on Christian WareChristianWare6'2" | SGSLAM | 2022StateNV in this one as he could be the unsung hero.
- Redcats v LVXF – LVXF has a fast and athletic team. The Redcats have several small school players. I’m looking in the backcourt for this one, specifically, how do Lucas WalkerLucasWalker5'11" | PGMoapa Valley | 2021StateNV and Kobe KelleyKobeKelley5'10" | PGLincoln Co | 2021StateNV handle the defensive pressure of Craig ComancheCraigComanche6'1" | CGCheyenne | 2021StateNV? I’m looking inside as well as the Redcats will have to find a matchup for 6’7 Chase JacksonChaseJackson6'7" | CCentennial | 2023StateNV. The likely candidate for the Redcats is 6’4 Cody ZileCodyZile6'4" | SFLincoln Co | 2021StateNV, however c/o 2024 stud Robert BlandanburgRobertBlandanburg6'5" | SFSLAM | 2024StateNV who stands at 6’6 should also spend some time on him.
- Loyalty VP v Team Rogue Freshmen – I’m looking forward to seeing the young guys. This one should be interesting. I don’t know much about the TR freshmen, but historically they run a disciplined system Loyalty features many of the top players in the c/o 2024 and 2025, including 6’6 Chris Nwuli, 6’6 Anthony NwuliAnthonyNwuli6'5" | PFBishop Gorman | 2024StateNV, and 6’5 c/o 2024 small forward Pharaoh ComptonPharaohCompton6'5" | SFSpring Valley | 2024NV. I’m interested in seeing if the young players can keep their own discipline against a TR squad that will be jacked up to play them.