Posted On: 09/24/20 4:28 PM
PrepHoops’ updated 2022 Texas Rankings dropped earlier this week and 21 players from Central Texas made the list, with 11 new names added to the state rankings. Highlights below are the group of players from Austin and San Antonio who were already included in the previous update of the 2022 Texas Rankings.
San Antonio-Metroplex: Wagner Point Guard Austin NunezAustinNunez6'2" | PGSan Antonio Wagner | 2022State#100NationTX (#8), Cole Point Guard Trey BlackmoreTreyBlackmore6'3" | PGSan Antonio Cole | 2022StateTX (#53), Warren Shooting Guard Xavier KirkXavierKirk6'2" | SGSan Antonio Warren | 2022StateTX (#56), Southside Power Forward Richard TorresRichardTorres6'6" | PFSan Antonio Southside | 2022StateTX (#66), Churchill Point Guard Xavier MartinezXavierMartinez5'11" | PGSan Antonio Churchill | 2022StateTX (#85), Lee Power Forward Keshaun NapoleonKeshaunNapoleon6'6" | PFSan Antonio Lee | 2022StateTX (#103), Brennan Small Forward Deon WilliamsDeonWilliams6'5" | SFSan Antonio Brennan | 2022StateTX (#106), and Johnson Shooting Guard Kendall DowKendallDow6'1" | SGSan Antonio Johnson | 2022StateTX (#126).
Austin-Metroplex: Westlake Power Forward Nehikhare IgiehonNehikhareIgiehon6'8" | PFAustin Westlake | 2022StateTX (#32) and Pflugerville Weiss Small Forward Tyson WhybrewTysonWhybrew6'5" | SFPflugerville Weiss | 2022StateTX (#111).
Here are the new names from the Central Texas area that made the updated 2022 Texas Rankings:
Jaelyn BrooksJaelynBrooks6'3" | SGRound Rock | 2022StateTX | 6-3 SG | Round Rock
- Brooks is one of the top players in Austin for the 2022 Class and made a huge jump in the rankings from unranked to the number 61 prospect in Texas. An elite scorer with bouncy athleticism, Brooks is a threat from all three-levels in the half-court. He possesses a smooth mid-range jumper and has extended range from beyond-the-arc. Has great burst and leaping ability, and showed to be a strong finisher above the rim. Made several late-game clutch shots during his sophomore year at Round Rock. With another big season for Brooks during his junior year he could see another rise in the rankings. Earned All-District 13-6A First Team & Newcomer MVP.
Donovan SantoroDonovanSantoro6'7" | SFAustin Westlake | 2022StateTX | 6-7 SF | Austin Westlake
- Santoro recently transferred to the Austin-Metroplex from California and is quickly climbing the rankings after an impressive summer playing with T.H.P. Elite. A tall and thin small forward prospect, with a long wingspan, Santoro can be a true scorer from the position at the next level. Has a good deep-range shot and looked comfortable pulling the trigger in catch-and-shoot situations from beyond-the-arc. Does a good job attacking the basket and running the floor in transition. Has the athleticism to guard multiple positions and can provide solid rebounding from the wing spot.
Kaden SmartKadenSmart6'0" | PGHutto | 2022StateTX | 6-0 PG | Hutto
- Smart is an instinctive point guard with smooth handles and a filthy crossover. He enjoyed a breakout sophomore season last year as the second-leading scorer on the 33-4 Hutto team. Smart averaged 12.9 points, 2.7 assists, 2.4 rebounds, and 2.4 steals per contest for the Hippos while shooting 35% from three-point range and having five games of 20+ points. Smart has control with the ball in his hands and does a great job of finding open teammates. Smart is also a threat as a catch-and-shoot weapon from three-point territory. Earned All-District 18-5A First Team & Newcomer MVP.
Jacob SwobodaJacobSwoboda6'2" | PGCedar Park | 2022StateTX | 6-2 PG | Cedar Park
- A floor general with terrific instincts and court vision, Swoboda knows how to command and run an offense. Swoboda had a huge summer with ATX Lockdown 2022 and consistently delivered dimes in each game he played in. A savvy ball-handler who does a great job of facilitating the rock to open teammates. Shows a great understanding of decision making, and possesses good body control. Swoboda is a pass-first guard, but he also knows when to get to his spots for his jumper. Swoboda has a running floater and mid-range jumper but also does a great job at finishing at the rim with either hand. Makes everyone around him better with his passing ability. Earned All-District 17-5A Second Team.
Marcel BryantMarcelBryant6'6" | PFRound Rock Cedar Ridge | 2022StateTX | 6-6 PF | Cedar Ridge
- Bryant enjoyed a big summer circuit playing with ProSkills Austin, catapulting him to number 123 in the Texas Rankings and the number 7 player in the Austin-Metroplex. Bryant showed his toughness in the paint as he battled for rebounds and finished through contact at the basket. Has a soft touch on his jumper, where he can hit from the mid-range, short corner, and occasionally step out and hit shots from beyond-the-arc. A dual-sport athlete who also plays for the Cedar Ridge football program, Bryant
Hudson JohnsonHudsonJohnson6'0" | PGStony Point | 2022StateTX | 6-0 PG | Stony Point
- A lethal three-point shooter with legit NBA range, Johnson shot 47% from beyond-the-arc, 53% from the floor, and averaged 12.9 points per game during his sophomore year for Round Rock Stony Point. Johnson possesses an incredibly quick release and sudden pull-up ability. He is extremely tough to guard as he is a threat to score anytime he has the ball in his hands. Johnson can create his own shot and has a variety of moves to get past defenders and to the basket. Has great touch on his floater in the paint and is a smooth finisher at the basket. Earned All-District 13-6A Second Team.
Shane PeralesShanePerales6'0" | PGSouth San Antonio | 2022StateTX | 6-0 PG | South San Antonio
- Perales went to work this summer improving his game and had some huge showings playing with the HD Toros. A pure scorer who can stroke it from beyond-the-arc, Perales is a threat as a catch-and-shoot player but can also create his own shot. Has some filthy handles that allow him to blow by opponents, where he either finishes strong at the basket or dishes to open teammates. Shows terrific vision in the half-court and is an accurate passer. Perales is also a high effort player on defense who averaged a steal per game during his sophomore year with South San Antonio. Averaged 6.1 points, 1.9 assists, and 1.9 rebounds as a sophomore.
Anariss BrandonAnarissBrandon6'1" | PGJudson | 2022StateTX | 6-1 PG | Judson
- One of the top point guards from the San Antonio area, Brandon is an explosive athlete who had a breakout sophomore campaign playing at Judson. Last season, Brandon averaged 9.6 points, 3.6 rebounds, 1.6 assists, and 1.4 steals per game for the Rockets. Has great short-area quickness and possesses a nice jump-stop shot in the lane. Was able to consistently get by opponents with his quick first step and is a smooth finisher at the rim. On defense, Brandon was able to create havoc causing turnovers due to his awareness, anticipation, and explosiveness.
Jarmaine MasonJarmaineMason5'11" | PGPflugerville Weiss | 2022StateTX | 5-11 PG | Pflugerville Weiss
- A big-time scorer who can also fill up the stat sheet, Mason was lethal from beyond-the-arc for Weiss during his sophomore season. Mason averaged 9.4 points, 2.1 rebounds, 1.5 assists, and 1.0 steals per contest for the Wolves last season. A combo guard who primarily played shooting guard last year, he does a great job of moving without the ball and has a quick release in catch-and-shoot situations. Mason has the ability to catch fire from three-point territory and was particularly good from the wing and corner. He does a terrific job on defense creating turnovers and led Weiss in steals with 38 on the season. Earned All-District 17-5A First Team & Newcomer MVP.
Joseph WaringJosephWaring6'5" | SFGeorgetown | 2022StateTX | 6-5 SF | Georgetown
- A physical and strong forward prospect, Waring did a great job playing several different positions for ATX Lockdown 2022 this summer. Waring had multiple double-double performances during the grassroots circuit and was unstoppable at times. Waring can do a variety of things on the court at a high level from powering his way to the rim to hitting open three-point shots. He crashes the board extremely hard and can be a playmaker on defense. Waring uses his length to his advantage by getting his hands in passing lanes and disrupting opponent’s shots. Earned All-District 18-5A Honorable Mention.
Reese MillerReeseMiller5'10" | PGRound Rock | 2022StateTX | 5-10 PG | Round Rock
- Miller is a huge three-point shooting threat each time he touches the ball and has a super quick release. Another player from the Austin area who has legit NBA shooting range and can pull-up from anywhere in the three-point territory. Miller has the ability to create his own shot with smooth handles and a quick release, and he isn’t afraid to nail a three with a defender in his face. In addition to his terrific shooting ability, Miller also possesses a nice floater when he gets into the lane and does a good job of dishing the ball to open teammates. He transitioned to playing primarily point guard this summer with T.H.P. Elite and looked comfortable playing the position and running the pick-and-roll game. Earned All-District 13-6A Second Team.