Posted On: 01/22/20 3:36 PM
What players in Minnesota had monster performances on Tuesday night? Here is a group you should know about!
The UMD Pair. This past spring/summer Peter Soumis and John Sutherland were teammates for the Northern Lakers. Next year they will be teammates at Minnesota-Duluth. Last night Soumis led Hermantown to an 80-78 win over Grand Rapids scoring 35 while Sutherland had 51 points. Sutherland’s 51 points broke the Grand Rapids single game scoring record. Hermantown is now 11-5 while Grand Rapids is 11-6.
Finally! Albert Lea beat Austin for the first time in 14 seasons last night. The Packers lost a game Monday night to Mankato East (52-58) and then 24 hours later feel by a 72-71 score to 5-7 Albert Lea. The standouts? The guy we have been telling you about since last spring, the explosive and strong Chay Guen. Chay is 6-foot-6 and Austin didn’t have an answer for his 23 points and 13 boards. Fellow senior Connor Veldman had 15 for the Tigers.
Northern Milestones. Hibbing is 9-5 on the year led by Ayden McDonald scoring 19-20 a game and helping others score 16-17 a contest. Earlier in the year he sit an assist record and last night in a 17 point loss to Duluth East the sophomore scored his 1,000th point tonight against Duluth East. Had 31 points in the loss. Sam Votava broke the East Grand Forks career assist record tonight with 616. Votava has been playing varsity basketball for five seasons now (he’s a junior) and last night he became the all time leader. EGF is undefeated on the year and Votava has gone full distribution mode helping five teammates average at or right near double figures.
Big Game, Big Performance. Gavin Vosika had 27 points, 6 assists, and 12 rebounds in an overtime win versus conference opponent Melrose. BOLD won the game 70-64 after the previous contest was a 33 point blowout. Rowan Nelson led Melrose with 18 and Grant Moscho had 17. BOLD scored the first 6 points of overtime and won the game.
Three for 80. Third ranked Waseca knocked off Faribault 80-62 led by the 38 points and 18 boards from standout junior Andrew Morgan. Ryan Dufault had 16 points with a dozen assists and Kyree Willingham had 26 points. If you total the three points from those players, that’s all 80 points scored.
A 3ppg Boost in One Night! Proctor defeated Ashland 73-64 and all league senior Dylan Horn had a memorable evening. How do you up your scoring average three points per game in one night in the middle of the year? Scored 47 of your team’s 73 points will do it.
- In two games against Lake Conference teams (Tonka and EP) this week Buffalo freshman Antonio Bluiett scored 56 points. Anybody that scores 31 against the EP defense did something excellent.
- Six-foot-7 senior Cody Miller leads Princeton with 16 points and 8 rebounds a game on average. That average was helped greatly by the 33 points Cody put up versus Sauk Rapids-Rice in a 104-76 win.
- National top 275 level talent Nate Heise led Lake City with 31 points, five assists, three steals, and three rebounds including a reverse dunk to cap a 54-35 win over Cannon Falls. Heise has now scored 31 or more in seven games this season.
- South St Paul defeated Henry Sibley 83-75 led by another high energy, double tough minute to minute 30 point performance from Alonzo Dodd who grabbed eight rebounds and dished out six assists as well.
- Senior Jaxon Waldvogel hit nine three-pointers while scoring 38 points in Centennial’s first win of the season. The Cougars beat Coon Rapids 82-66.