Posted On: 12/16/18 5:26 PM
Christmas is on the horizon and New Years won’t be far behind but this week is full of big time match-ups leading up to the holidays. Several tournaments take place this week and there are plenty of good games in addition to events like the King of the Bluegrass. Here’s a look ahead to the biggest showdowns of the week.
Monday, December 17:
- Fern Creek travels to DuPont Manual. Both teams have been up and down this season but there is a good post match-up in this one as Eli Roberts and Darrius Washington will go head to head in the paint.
- Oldham County took their first loss of the season on a buzzer beater last week but they will have a chance to surprise the state as they travel to Georgetown to take on Bryce Long and the top ranked Scott County Cardinals.
Tuesday, December 18:
- George Rogers Clark makes the trip to Ashland to take on Blazer. Seniors Devaunte Robinson and Brennan Canada square off in what should be a competitive game between two top 25 teams.
- Covington Catholic and Newport Central Catholic renew their rivalry while both teams look to rebound from losses on Saturday.
- Boyle County’s young back court heads to Frankfort. Freshman Aden Slone going against Senior Juanya Frank should be quite the showdown at the point guard spot.
Wednesday, December 19:
- Christmas tournaments get underway at Berea, Barren County, Mercer County, Pulaski County and Warren East.
- The King of the Bluegrass start with a LOADED Wednesday slate. Look for an event preview posting on Tuesday.
Thursday, December 20:
- More tournaments get started at Hancock County, McCreary Central, Breckinridge County, Raceland, Grant County, Dupont Manual, Prestonsburg, Trigg County, Butler County, Owensboro, Portland Christian, Paducah Tilghman, Henry Clay, Pendleton County, Floyd Central, Edmonson County, Sayre, Simon Kenton and Clinton County.
- Newport and Conner should be a fun match-up in the 9th region as both are looking to continue racking up wins on the early season.
- Woodford County hopes to maintain their hot start as Ashland Blazer makes the trip to Versailles for a game.
Friday, December 21:
- Another round of tournaments get underway at Graves County, Rowan County and Bellevue.
- Covington Catholic and Archbishop Moeller from Ohio should have a fun game as the Colonels continue a brutal early season schedule.
- Campbell County travels to Beechwood in a duel between 9th and 10th region contenders. Reid Jolly and Scotty Draud star for their respective teams.
- Fern Creek makes a trip to Georgetown to take on Scott County. Jaden Rogers, Zeke Montgomery and Darrius Washington going up against Diablo Stewart, Lorenzo Williams and Michael Moreno should be a fun one to watch.
Saturday, December 22:
- Tournaments continue all over the state. Most will finish up on Saturday with championship games Saturday night.
- Taylor County will roll into Boyle County hoping to keep their perfect record intact.
- St. Xavier heads to Lexington to take on Dashawn Jackson and Frederick Douglass.
Sunday, December 23:
- The King of the Bluegrass finals are the only games on the schedule for the state on Sunday. If you’re able, make your way to Fairdale for the full day of hoops.