Posted On: 11/25/18 10:23 PM
The season is finally ready to get underway and Prep Hoops Kentucky is anxious to get out and cover some games across the state. Here’s a look ahead at some of the best games around the state in the opening week of the 2018-19 season.
Monday, November 26:
- Taylor County heads to Bullitt Central. Senior Trevon Smith and the Cardinals start the season with Coach Gumm just getting the job two weeks ago after Maze Stallworth resigned. Bullitt Central also quietly changed coaches a couple of weeks ago after Jessie Curry resigned.
- The state champions start their defense as Cov Cath takes on Ludlow at home.
- Lexington Catholic plays host to Mason County as Ben Johnson and the Knights take on Jaylen Lofton and the Royals.
- Dunbar could be on upset alert as they host Brandon Cromwell and Woodford County. The Jackets could be a sleeper in the 11th
Tuesday, November 27:
- Early rivalry action in the 5th as Marion County travels to Bardstown. JJ Traynor and Jamison Epps should be a good matchup.
- Madisonville gets their season underway with a trip to Daviess County. Kenny White, Ksuan Casey and Keyshawn Stone are a tough Junior trio for the Maroons.
- Eastern could surprise some people in the 7th this year. They open their season against Eli Roberts and Manual.
- I hope the bulbs in the scoreboard don’t blow out with all the scoring Paintsville and Elliott County could do on Tuesday night.
- Dashawn Jackson and Douglass take on Marques Warrick and Henry Clay in what should be a fun district game.
- Nice battle of bigs in Stanford as Ray Surratt and Lafayette make the trip to take on host Lincoln County and Riley Bodner.
- Madison Southern and Madison Central go head to head and Isaiah Cozart could break the career blocks record before this one is over.
- Hopkinsville opens with Paducah Tilghman. Rodriguez Thomas and Alijah Watts should be a fun guard matchup.
- Perhaps the best game of the night will be JJ Ramey and South Laurel making the trip to Georgetown to play Michael Moreno and the Cardinals.
- Another fun one should be the young Central squad heading to Waggener to duel with the Wildcats.
Wednesday, November 28:
- Potential for a big time game in Louisville as Alexander Holley and Ballard tangle with Darrius Washington and Fern Creek.
- Two 9th region small schools battle as Scotty Draud and Beechwood take on Pete Knochelmann and Holy Cross.
Thursday, November 29:
- Good point guard matchup in Frankfort as Jake Whitlock and Spencer County duel with Jared Courtney and Franklin County.
- Two hard playing teams will get together in Louisville as Butler takes on Seneca.
- Cody Potter and Shelby Valley make the trip to Paintsville in what could be a good one.
- Two Lexington schools go head to head as Dunbar and Bryan Station matchup.
- Lexington Catholic travels to Covington Catholic in their annual game.
Friday, November 30:
- Madison Central takes on Lafayette in an 11th region rivalry.
- Warren Central travels to reigning 3rd region champion Apollo.
- Ballard makes the trip from Louisville to Scott County to renew their annual rivalry with the Cards.
- Manual heads to Male to take on the Bulldogs.
Saturday, December 1:
- The Marshall County HoopFest takes place all weekend (it actually starts on Thursday). We’ll have an event preview coming in the next few days.
- Pulaski County travels to Wilmore to face West Jessamine in what should be a competitive matchup.
- Cooper makes the trip to Lexington to face Dunbar.
- Oldham County and Spencer County clash in an early meeting with 8th region ramifications.