Posted On: 11/23/18 8:01 AM
With the season underway it’s hard to tell who will actually be contending in the playoffs but we have an idea what teams will be making noise.
On top of the mountain in 5A is Olympus (pun intended). With Jeremy Dowdell and Rylan Jones (Utah) probably the best backcourt in the state that can both shoot and handle the ball Olympus is poised to repeat as State Champions. Corner Canyon might have something to say about that as well as young Skyridge and Bountiful.
1. Olympus- The Titans if they have a weakness might be their able to match teams up with their height. Their 1st three games are against DOGS! PG, Sky View and Corner Canyon. That’s not including The Utah Elite 8.
2. Corner Canyon- If anyone can knock off Olympus we think it’s going to be the Chargers. Maybe they can replicate what the football team did. Hayden Welling (UC Irvine) and Gabe Toombs are for real. They also have a number of sophomore’s that can play at a high level as well.
3. Bountiful- The Braves handled Lone Peak but will have a huge game against 6A power Davis. We are very impress with their pre-season schedule. Looking forward to see how they represent Utah at The Damien Classic in Southern California. Much better competition than The Tarkanian.
4. Skyridge- Will be a fun team to watch with the talented duo of Duncan Reid and Trevon Snoody.
5. Jordan- The Beetdiggers seem to be the only team that could possibly slow down Corner Canyon in region play. They have Dyson Koehler and Terryn Mosley. They will be battle tested as they have a tough pre-season schedule. We will see how the addition of transfer Nate Maiava works out for Jordan.
6. Highland- The Rams have a lot of young talent along side of Liki Makaui so, on paper they should be able to compete with anyone but they’re not proven.
7. Timpanogos- The biggest question will be if the T-Wolves can score when they take Matt Norman away. They have already suffered a loss to 6A Lone Peak.