Username or Email Address
Posted On: 10/11/18 8:00 AM
Atlana, GA - Every year here in the metro Atlanta area we seem to have some very exciting and killer matchups. Whether it is a region, rivalry, showcase, or tournament matchup, the metro Atlanta area is known for some top and "can't forget" type games. This year before the season begins I have decided to rank the top 20 must see matchups this season in the metro Atlanta area, below you can check out the 16-20 matchups.
16. Upson Lee v. Langston Hughes (Sat. Dec. 15th) – Here is what you call a battle of champion’s matchup. Upson Lee High School, the defending Georgia class 4A champions, against Langston Hughes High School, the 2x Georgia class 6A back-to-back champions, will face off at the 2nd Annual Hawks Naismith Classic on Saturday Dec. 15that Norcross High School. No Landers Nolley for Langston Hughes and no Tye Fagan for Upson Lee this season. Both were one of Georgia’s top prospects last season. With both past stars out for this matchup, this game will still be very interesting to watch. As new stars emerge this game will certainly be a battle between both coaches as well.
17. Grayson/Newton region matchup (Tues. Dec. 11th & Tues. Jan. 15th)– No Ashton Hagans for Newton and no Travis Anderson for Grayson this season for these programs. The Grayson/Newton region matchups last year were great games and where they split the regular season meetings and where Newton defeated Grayson in last season’s region championship game. Both programs will have new key guys coming into this season and both are expected to once again be on top of their region, region 8 class 7A. Both matchups will be on Tuesdays.
18. Pebblebrook-South Cobb rivalry (Sat. Dec. 1st & Sat. Jan. 26th)– The Pebblebrook/South Cobb neighborhood rivalry matchup is always an exciting matchup to watch. Over the years Pebblebrook and South Cobb have always made room on their schedules for one another. Both schools are only a couple blocks away from one another and that is just one reason that makes this rivalry game something special. Both meetings will be on Saturday nights this season and we should expect a full house for both matchups this year. Pebblebrook came on top during both meetings last season at a combined score of 149-137 and where one of the matchups went into OT. (2016 matchup pictured above).
19. McEachern @ Campbell (Sat. Feb. 2nd)– This matchup, in my opinion, is certainly one of the best-underrated matchups I think will be exciting to see. This game will give us a what should be an intriguing point guard matchup that features top 2020 PG Sharife Cooper of McEachern against 2019 PG Terrell Burden of Campbell. Sharife is a threat scoring on the offensive end while Terrell is one Georgia’s top sleepers and is a great on ball defender. Terrell will also be facing his old school. He transferred from McEachern after his sophomore season. Although Campbell might not be on McEachern’s level talent wise this season, the Spartans will not go down easily, especially on their home floor on a Saturday night.
20. St. Pius Catholic @ Pace Academy (Sat. Dec. 1st)– Pace Academy new HC Sharman White will be in his first season with Knights this year after being an assistant at Georgia State the last couple of years. In his first season with Pace, Coach White did not shy away from some of the competition here in Georgia. The Knights will be hosting one of the top programs in Georgia’s 4A class in St. Pius on Saturday afternoon on December 1st. This is a program coming off back-to-back state championship trips and this matchup here should be interesting.