Posted On: 05/16/18 3:24 PM
The Fury Shootout tips-off Friday night and continues on through Sunday afternoon at Burnsville High School. This is a solid field of teams will provide an interesting weekend.
17U. This year’s group of 17u teams is 30 strong which includes an interesting assortment of outstate teams: Adidas Silver team the Brevard Bulls out of Florida, Greenwood Elite from Michigan, Iowa Barnstormers Silver squad, New York Rebels, and the Winnipeg Wolves out of Canada.
The Top Minnesota Contenders. Fury Wilde (#3) is the host of the event and the odds on favorite to win after having gone 18-3 so far this season. The top local contender will likely by 44 Elite (#8), the local Adidas Silver Division squad who is 13-8 after playing in four events this year.
The spring darlings SE Minnesota Lightning (#12) are playing as is Crossfire Belle (#13), and Heat Henderson (#14) who lost Jeremy Beckler recently to an injury. The event 17s co-host Fury Kaupa (#16) will be another tough out as well be Mentality Minnesota (#20). In all 11 of the top 25 programs in Minnesota are competing at the Fury Shootout (#21 D1 Minnesota Prospects, #22 Heat Walljasper, #23 D1 Minnesota Rise, #24 Rip City).
25 Prospects to Watch: There is a lot of good talent on display at the Fury Shootout, here is a quick rundown of a top 25 2019s from Minnesota that are competing.
- Jacob Beeninga of Fury Wilde/Wayzata
- Jack Middleton of Fury Wilde/Edina
- Cole Nicholson of Fury Wilde/Chaska
- Charlie Gorres of Fury Wilde/Park of Cottage Grove
- Dane Zimmer of Fury Wilde/Hopkins
- Jalen Dearring of 44 Elite/Minnetonka
- Jake Kettner of D1 MN Rise/MN Valley Lutheran
- Deszi Sims of 44 Elite/Minneapolis Roosevelt
- Andy Stafford of Fury Wilde/Minnetonka
- Regan Tollefson of Fury Wilde/Chanhassen
- Sam Nissen of Fury Wilde/Prior Lake
- Adreone Sprinkles of 44 Elite/Brooklyn Center
- Miles Mendes of Fury Kaupa/Farmington
- Dion Ford of 44 Elite/St. Paul Central
- Marcus Shepley of Mentality MN/Burnsville
- Luke Paulson of Fury Kaupa/Wayzata
- Emmanuel Tamba of 44 Elite/Park Center
- Carson Schoeller of Fury Kaupa/Prior Lake
- Isaiah Watts of Fury Wilde/Bloomington Jefferson
- Jayton Metcalf of RIP City/St. Croix Prep
- Brock Bangasser of Crossfire Belle/HLWW
- Reegan Nelson of Crossfire Belle/Melrose
- Nate Shikenjanski of Fury Kaupa/Stillwater
- Ethan Matzke of SE Minnesota Lightning/Spring Grove
- Drew Leistikow of SE Minnesota Lightning/St. Charles
16U. The 16u Division of the Fury Shootout is 33 teams large with a few mysteries (G1 Athletes, Team Future, Riverside Hawks, Gladiators 2002, Team Dream), some out of state squads (Brevard Bulls of Florida, Kingdom Force of Iowa, Greenwood Elite from Michigan, Iowa Barnstormers Silver), some quality locals (D1 Minnesota 15s, Fury Kline, Gain Elite, MN Matrix), and one big fat favorite (Fury Zurn).
What is very interesting is that there is a potential #2 vs #1 in Fury Zurn 16s against the D1 Minnesota 15s. We also have some teams from out of the state we aren’t sure about and the follow top 25 16u teams: #2 Fury Zurn, #5 Gain Elite, #8 Fury Kline, #10 Minnesota Matrix, #18 TC Finest, #21 Heat West, #23 Lace Up, and the top unranked team the SE Minnesota Lightning Schwartz squad.
The potential Gain Elite vs Fury Zurn game is something we are greatly looking forward (potentially!) because Gain Elite has some good talent and is a top five team in this state.
Dozen Players to Watch: Not a ranking but a list of ten guys to keep eye balls on….
- Six-foot-9 2021 Riley Mahlman of D1 Minnesota 15s/Lakeville South
- Six-foot-4 2022 Kendal Blue of D1 Minnesota 15s/East Ridge
- Six-foot-9 Jacob Huston of Fury Kline/Edina
- Six-foot-5 John Henry of Fury Kline/Eden Prairie
- Six-foot-6 Brady Williams of Fury Zurn/Dover-Eyota
- Six-foot-6 Charlie Katona of Fury Zurn/Shakopee
- Six-foot-7 Cameron Steele of Fury Zurn/Minnetonka
- Six-foot-5 Blake Remme of Gain Elite/Spring Lake Park
- Six-foot-5 J’Vonne Hadley of Gain Elite/Mahtomedi
- Six-foot-4 Detavius Frierson of Gain Elite/Park Center
- Six-foot-8 Mason Miller of MN Matrix/Ada-Borup
- Six-foot-5 Dylan Dechampeau of MN Matrix/Greenway
15U. A 32 team field at Burnsville that is 100 percent wide open for the taking. The older two groups have a clear favorite but this part of the tournament will be a wide open free-for-all.
Six of the teams are from out of state while the other 26 are local. Of those 26 local teams half of them are in the top 20: #5 Crossfire Bertsch, #6 West Central United, #7 Fury Poppen, #9 SE Minnesota Lightning, #10 Gain Elite, #12 Fury Syverson, #13 WOTN Erickson, #16 Magic Team Niek, #18 D1 Minnesota Prospects, #20 Comets Thuok.