Posted On: 05/31/18 5:22 PM
Why only five teams? A couple of simple reasons: only seven teams really stood out, we wanted a multiple of five, and we haven’t watched a ton of 15U this spring.
Anyways, these five teams are all really good. Also, shout out to Cincy Royals Blue and Cleveland (the AAU team, not the entire city) for their strong spring. We see you too.
1. NEO Tru Game
2. Mid Ohio Pumas Elite
3. All Ohio Red
4. Ohio Hoopsters – Tillman
5. Dayton Wolves
NEO Tru Game, Mid Ohio Pumas Elite
Either team could be rightfully slated no. 1. It’s about as close as it gets.
Tru Game argument
- 19-2 record overall, which includes two E15 weekends.
- Signature wins: All Ohio Red, Team United, PSA Cardinals, Key Hoops, E1T1, The City Rocks, Dayton Wolves, Mid Ohio Pumas Elite.
- Losses: Boo Williams, CP3.
- First place finishes: Dru Joyce Classic in Nashville, Solon Cage Classic, Super 16.
Mid Ohio Pumas argument
- 25-3 record overall, including an undefeated record at adidas Gauntlet Silver.
- Signature wins: Louisville Magic, The Family, Bates Fundamentals, Indy Heat, All Ohio Red, Dayton Wolves twice, Ohio Hoopsters – Tillman twice.
- Losses: Tru Game, Indy Heat, Meanstreets
- First Place finishes: adidas Gauntlet Silver twice, Bearcat Classic, Mid Ohio Classic, Run N’ Slam.
When the résumés are this comparable, the head-to-head matchup has to be the deciding factor. Even if one of the Pumas top new players was absent against Tru Game, the team from NEO still won by four.
All Ohio Red
Red is really freaking good. Ohio’s top tier for 15U is in rarified air in this situation. Just one win against either team would have been enough to move Red into that top tier. Instead, they’re decidedly in the middle of the top five.
The Nike Cup is their lone first place finish. After an 0-3 opening weekend of the E15 Challenge, Red has posted a 6-5 record in their last two showings.
Ohio Hoopsters – Tillman, Dayton Wolves
The top Hoopsters team went 8-2 in their two adidas Gauntlet Silver sessions. The bookends of their schedule (Bearcat Classic and adidas Gauntlet Qualifier in Chicago) were both only one-loss weekends. However, they weren’t able to make a statement on Championship Sunday at the Run N’ Slam. The no. 4 spot is very strong, but they were very close to breaking the top three at one point this spring.
The Dayton Wolves have shot up the charts after a 4-2 weekend at the Hampton E15 Challenge. This collection of Southwest Ohio talent lost in the Silver Bracket finals to Tru Game by two points. They beat All Ohio Red, Bates Fundamentals, BABC and Bluff City in Hampton. Dayton Wolves also played well in the Super 16 and Dru Joyce Classic in Akron this spring. Continuing to play well against top competition gives them a chance to move up.