Username or Email Address
Posted On: 04/5/18 8:06 PM
Photo Credit: John Bombatch
Division IV in the Dayton area could be a little more complex come 2018-19. Any one of the below 5 teams could potentially be the #1 team at some point next year. Catholic Central looks to be the favorite early on, but don’t count out the Legacy Christian Knights when healthy, or an Emmanuel Christian team that plays like they did in postseason action. Here is an early look at the top 5 teams in Division IV in Dayton.
1. Springfield Catholic Central- The Irish had an amazing season last year finishing 19-3 and winning an OHC title in the process. The backcourt that helped with this success return and give Catholic Central a chance to defend their title. Trey Dunn (2019) and Sabien Doolittle (2019) return for their senior year and will continue to show why the Irish are the most dominant team in the OHC.
2. Russia- The Raiders finished with a 16-9 record a year ago and made a run into the Regional semifinals before losing to Fort Loramie. They lose talented guard Jack Dapore, but bring back Daniel Kearns (2019) and Jordan York (2019) to help fill the void.
3. Legacy Christian- The Knights return 4 of their top 5 scorers from an 18-7 team last season. Erik Uszynski (2019) and his 15 points/ 8 rebounds per game return as well as Keano Hammerstrom (2019). Injuries plagued this team last season. If they can stay healthy this year, I have confidence they can compete at the top of D4.
4. Franklin Monroe- The Jets lose several pieces from last season’s 14-8 team, but return one of the top players in Division IV in Ethan Conley (2019). A legitimate D2/ LM D1 prospect, Conley’s talent and athleticism are unmatched in the Dayton area in D4.
5. Emmanuel Christian- The Lions surprised many people by making it to the District final last season before falling to Russia. They bring back leading scorer Adonis Davis (2019) as well as Fred Shropshire (2020). Keep an eye on Casey Swank (2020).