Username or Email Address
Posted On: 02/5/18 5:05 PM
I’ve been haunting the high school gyms in Northeast Ohio since the start of the season and taking in plenty of games and believe I’ve seen enough of the squads to break out a team ranking of sorts that is somewhat accurate and trustworthy.
I had a coach tell me earlier this year he doesn’t care about the rankings and blah, blah, blah. Well to that coach I say good because you are not ranked.
I have seen Archbishop Hoban, just once and was impressed, but believe the teams I have ranked ahead of them are indeed better. I have yet to see Stow so until them they get mentioned in the best of the rest.
Here we go:
1. Solon (15-0) — The Comets are led by PG Sincere Carry (2018) and just run teams out of the gym. They may be undersized but they are a clinic on offense and will turn off your water on defense. An L could be coming as they play Brunswick, Stow and Medina, all on the road this week.
2. St. Edward (15-3)— The Eagles went on the road and pulled out a win against the defending Division IV state-champion Lutheran East. Sophomore guard Montorie Foster put a lot of nice things on tape in scoring in the Lutheran East win scoring in a variety of ways. They play at St. Ignatius on Feb. 9.
3. Garfield Heights (9-5) — The Bulldogs won two in a row after losing five straight. Alonzo Gaffney (2019), the 6’9” five-star recruit averaged 22 a game in the two wins and is beginning to assert himself inside. Came from behind to beat Lorain at home on Feb. 3.
Play at Medina on Feb. 7 and at Cleveland Central Catholic on Feb.9.
4. Shaker Heights (10-6) — The record’s a little deceiving. Chris Guess (2018) and Dale Bonner (2018) are two of the best guards in Northeast Ohio and sophomore Dakota Cochran (2020) and junior big man Kevin Bishop (2019) are both becoming more assertive. They host Orange and Elyria on Feb. 6 and Feb.9.
5. Cleveland Central Catholic (15-2) — Well coached group that can locked you down on defense. CCC was able to hold St. V to just 41 points in a 46-41 win last week. The Ironmen play host to Garfield on Feb.9.