Posted On: 02/6/18 11:23 PM
Monday night the Eagles of Madison Southern made a short trip to take on 10th region contender George Rogers Clark. The game was more competitive than the GRC faithful were expecting. Coach Shane Buttry’s team put a good scare into the host Cardinals on Senior night before they eventually get some separation in the third quarter and put the game away in the 4th to win 78-63. There were a few takeaways for both teams:
1. Freshman Jared Wellman made the most of his opportunity. The 6’4 freshman has had to make a transition from being a starter in 8th grade at Lawrence County to a bench player in his freshman season at GRC but he shined in his role on Monday. Wellman was 3/5 from 3 on his way to 15 points. He also pulled down a team high 7 rebounds. Coach Cook’s team will graduate 4 seniors this season. Look for Wellman to be a starter and a top 10 player in the region next season.
2. GRC showed good offensive balance in the win. Senior Ryan Cooper scored 21 points, Junior Brennan Canada scored 15 to match Wellman’s 15 and Junior Jordan Graham added 9 points and 5 assists. All together, 8 Cards scored in the win and Coach Cook’s team showcased the type of balance that makes them a contender to get to Rupp Arena and win a game or two along the way.
3. Senior Tre McCreath’s shooting kept Madison Southern in the game. The guard was on fire from behind the arc early. Tre hit 3 from downtown in the first half and added another couple in the second half. If not for his sharpshooting, the Eagles would not have been nearly as competitive as they were.
4. It was disappointing that 8th grader Turner Buttry didn’t play. I was hoping to get my first look at the coach’s son who some have labeled as a top 5 player in the 2022 class but when I got to the gym, Buttry was sitting on the bench with a cast on. Hopefully our PHKY staff will get to catch Buttry during the AAU season.
5. George Rogers Clark has the size and weapons to make a run at Rupp Arena. Between Canada, Senior Will Philpot, Jehdon Jenkins and Ben Jackson patrolling the paint and several long wings and guards, GRC has the pieces to get to Rupp. After that, they have a decent draw and could make it to Saturday night in Rupp Arena. Once you get to that point, anything can happen.