After a sloppy 1st half full of turnovers and defensive lapses, Hughes Big Red found their stride in the 2nd half to pull away for a 76-57 victory over Summit Country Day Tuesday night. With the victory Big Red plays conference rival Aiken Saturday at 6pm for a chance to advance to Dayton for regionals.
Coach Wyant squad turned up the pressure in the 2nd half creating turnovers and causing havoc on the defensive end. After going into the locker room trailing 32-31, the Silver Knights were blitzed 44-26 in the second frame. Hughes was lead by 2018 F Shawn Hawkins with 23 points on 10-11 shooting along with 2 rebounds, 3 assist and 4 steals. 2018 G DJ Brewton (PHO #56) also had a strong game with 22 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assist and 4 steals while 2018 G Dwayne Rosado chipped in 14 points including some big trey’s in the 2nd half.
Five Takeaways: Summit Country Day vs. Hughes
- Shawn Hawkins is starting to put together an impressive post-season run together. So far in two games the senior is averaging 21 points, 5 rebounds and 4.5 assist per game while shooting 72% from the floor. Programs at the next level need to be paying more attention to this young man.
- It is hard to look more impressive in defeat than Summit G Xavier Johnson (2018) He was in attack mode the whole game, regularly finishing in the lane for floaters, lay-ups and pull-up jumpers. He showed his strength by finishing through contact while doing his best to keep the Silver Knights in the game. It was the last game of a stellar prep career as the next stop for Johnson is Ohio State where he is expected to play wide receiver.
- Have not seen a team play with better pace and have more player movement than Big Red this season. The ball never sticks on one side of the floor and when the ball and players get the moving, it makes everyone a threat on the court. When they have it rolling Coach Wyant squad if as fun as any to watch in the state.
- NAIA/USCAA/NCCAA programs may want to inquire about Summit 2018 F Sam Gosinger. This young man can shoot the ball and with deep, deep range. By my count Gosinger finished the game with four three-pointers, including one from about 30ft. Or the parking lot of Kings Island depending on where you were sitting. Trust me on this one, you can thank me later.
- It was good to see the before mentioned Dwayne Rosado get going in the 2nd After shooting 47% from the three-last season that number slipped down to 27% this season. But Rosado shot the ball like the 2016-17 version of his self yesterday knocking down three important 2nd half treys to help Hughes pull away. It did not matter if a Summit defender had a hand up or not, Rosado was in a rhythm that could not be bothered.