Username or Email Address
Posted On: 02/28/18 12:30 PM
We are only 2 and a half weeks from the start of the KHSAA Sweet 16 at Rupp Arena. Half the schools in Kentucky have been eliminated from the postseason and by Thursday night, that number will dip to 64 teams remaining. The games get started on Tuesday night in the 6th and 7th regions before the rest of the state starts regional play on Wednesday night. We’re going to take a look at the 8 top players remaining in each region and take a shot at power ranking the remaining teams. The 10th region starts play on Wednesday night. All regional games take place at the Mason County Fieldhouse. Here’s a breakdown of the 10th region tournament and the top individual players still playing.
Elite 8 Players (in no order):
Brennan Canada, George Rogers Clark – Averaging 13 points and 7 rebounds a game, Canada’s ability to stretch the floor for the Cardinals makes him a valuable weapon.
Jordan Graham, George Rogers Clark – The Junior floor general for GRC has made tremendous strides in his first season as a full time point guard. Graham averages 11 points and 6 assists per game for the Cards.
Tanner Clos, Campbell County – The second leading scorer for the Camels will need to exceed his regular season production to get his team to Rupp Arena.
Reid Jolly, Campbell County – The leading scorer and rebounder for Campbell, Jolly averages 18 points and 10 rebounds for Campbell and will need to avoid foul trouble for 3 games to get to the Sweet 16.
Dontaie Allen, Pendleton County – The best player in the region and one of the best in the state, Allen is capable of averaging 40 points per game over the course of the tournament.
Eric Johnson, Paris – Johnson is a high scoring combo guard with a knack for making winning plays at the right time. Averaging 19 per game, Johnson will need to put up big numbers t beat Pendleton for the second time in a month.
Levi Dunaway, Mason County – A 20 point per game scorer for the Royals, Dunaway has a knack for living at the free throw line. Dunaway averages 6 made free throws per game and has attempted 232 in 30 games this season.
Trey Meister, Scott – The leading scorer and rebounder for the Eagles, Meister and Chad Ohmer form a dynamic duo and could lead Scott back to Rupp Arena after a good run there last season.
1. George Rogers Clark – The favorites to win the region, GRC is deep and talented.
2. Campbell County – The Camels knocked off GRC early in the regular season and will need to repeat that to get to the regional title game.
3. Paris- Their match-up with Pendleton will be the best opening round game. Paris just beat Pendleton a couple of weeks ago.
4. Scott – The setup is eerily similar for the regional run that Scott made a year ago. The could find their way back into the Sweet Sixteen again.
5. Pendleton County – Everyone knows about Dontaie Allen but if the other Wildcats don’t show up, Pendleton won’t go very far.
6. Mason County – Mason won their district but has had a disappointing season by their lofty standards.
7. Harrison County – They lost the district title game badly and could be blown out again by Campbell in the quarterfinals.
8. Bracken County – It took a last second miracle shot for Bracken to reach the regional. They face a GRC team that beat them by 40 just 2 weeks ago.