High school basketball season began last week in the 757 with some exciting games. After a week in, preseason rankings have began to see a change. Every week, we will update the 757’s weekly rankings, with a starting 5, and an additional 5 teams to be on the lookout for. But to begin, there is no change in the number 1 spot, it still belongs to the Lake Taylor Titans.
Here is the Week 1 Starting Five:
- Lake Taylor: In the “Tis the Season: Preseason Rankings article, the Titans commanded the number 1 spot, and that will more than likely not change any time soon. Joe Bryant, Jr. is poised to lead his team to another state championship berth with the assistance of Dereon Seabron, who is averaging a triple double, and Jalen Jordan, who is averaging double figures over the first 3 games, including a 32 point performance last night against four time defending state champions, IC Norcom.
- Western Branch: The Western Branch Bruins have since lost Briquan Harrell to Oscar Smith since the preseason rankings were revealed, but they are still on track, and have moved into the #2 position. With a big win Friday night over Oscar Smith, a game Briquan did not play in, the Bruins have other sources of life that look to be able to carry them in Harrell’s absence. Saiquan White provided the Bruins with 18 in the win, while Kendall Bynum poured in 17, and the Bruins continued to roll Tuesday with a win over Great Bridge.
- Bishop Sullivan: The Crusaders traveled to Fayetteville, North Carolina this weekend for the City of Dreams showcase where they went 2-0 with wins over, Northwood Temple and Cape Fear. With only one lost, being a 68-70 to St. Christopher’s and a buzzer beating win by Keith Holmes over Cape Henry on Tuesday night, the Cru also moved up in rankings. With new point guard, Antwan Epps Jr putting on a show in North Carolina, and averaging double figures throughout the Crusaders first couple of games, the Cru is the #1 private school in the 757.
- Maury: The Maury Commodores were not previously ranked in the Starting Five but since the season has began, have posted a 3-0 record, with wins over IC Norcom, Booker T, and Norfolk Collegiate. Maury’s new head coach, Brandon Plummer has began the season off right, and the Commodores, have shocked many with their hot start.
- Phoebus: The Phoebus Phantoms round out the starting five. A squad that has fell a few spots, still start the best PG the 757 has to offer in shifty guard, Antwan Miles. With two losts, to a Green Run squad this past weekend, and a Heritage squad to begin the season, the Phantoms still show hints that they will be a team to compete with in 3A.
The Five Reserves:
- Williamsburg Christian Academy
- Cape Henry
- Deep Creek