This week will be the Top 10 games that are not involved in tournaments. Even with the limited games because of the tournaments, there are some very enticing matchups across the Evergreen state. The tournaments also will have some big-time matchups throughout the state but with the unpredictability of tournaments we leave them out as a whole.
- Black Hills vs. Bear Creek – Both teams are 2-2 right now in league and both have struggled to get there defensive rotations together. This game could be a really physical match up as each one of these teams look to get above .500. Black Hills has had a little more success offensively because there roster holds a little more talent than Bear Creek. Black hills does have a home record of 2-1.
- Renton vs. River Ridge – Renton is on a role right now. With prime time players like Jaloni Garner, Deondre Russ, Jaden Locke and Malik Coates will make it hard for the Hawks to defend. Currently sitting at 4-1 under the tutelage of Rick Comer. The Indians are moving the ball and pressuring the opposing guards for 48 minutes. The hawks have some foot speed on there side as well with Marquan Cannon. He will need to lead the attack for the hawks to overcome the swarming defense of the Indians.
- Mount Lake Terrace vs. Shorecrest – Shorecrest took a bad loss early on against a power house Seattle Prep squad. I think that was a huge wake up call for the Scots because since then they have been on a tear winning there next 4 games by an average of 15 points. Mount Lake is undefeated and even thought that is very impressive shorecrest will be a different two headed monster. Defensively they get after it and can shoot the ball at a high clip. This game will be won by who can make the most 3 point shots. Both teams rely HEAVILY on there 3 point arsenal.
GAME OF THE WEEK:
- Gonzaga Prep vs. Ferris – Both teams walk into this game undefeated however, most know that Gonzaga Prep is a different monster than what ferris has seen so far. With High D1 players like; Sam Locket, Devin Culp, Anton Watson and Jamaari Jones. The bulldogs will be difficult to handle. All players can create off the dribble and create plays for others around them. Shamrock Campbell and Elijah Hammer will have to carry the scoring load and anchor the defense and keep this game close to have a shot late in the 4th quarter.
- Jackson vs. Monroe – Both teams come in undefeated as well. Both teams play a similar game where defense anchors there attack. Jackson offensively has more tools but Monroe does have a huge playmaker by the name of Colby Kyle who already is considered a high D1 recruit. He can score the ball and guard all 5 positions. With him in the Monroe arsenal Jackson will have there hands filled. Jackson will need to shoot a high percentage to stay in this game and make it competitive.
- Garfield vs. Seattle Prep – Garfield is the team to beat this year. They are definitely on the national ranking radar. To be flat out honest. Seattle Prep has no chance. With playmakers like PJ FULLER, PIERRE COCKRELL and highlight reels like J’RAAN BROOKS and JAMON KEMP. This will be the game of the week to watch. Seattle Prep has some good pieces as well but matched up against a national power house will more than likely be a difficult task. I have heard quite a few people say I will eat my words. If Seattle prep pulls off this win. I will do just that.
- O’Dea vs. Rainier Beach – Kevin Porter Jr. has been on a tear as of late. His final season of high school basketball will be one to remember. This game will be filled to the exit doors. Please get there early and be ready to possibly stand. I would say that O’Dea has a good chance but Kevin Porter Jr. along with Tre Andersen have been the difference makers and I don’t expect them to have a bad game.
- Jefferson vs. Todd Beamer – Todd Beamer has 2 studs on there squad that cause a lot of havoc on both ends of the floor. Will Johnson and Dalon Vosley. Both who can handle the ball and attack the rim at will. Jefferson has a couple of playmakers themselves are making a name for themselves. Omari Edwards and Josiah Presley pack a hard punch and can be as good as anybody on the floor when they’re on.
- Capital vs. Timberline – Both teams have made statements in the first half of the season of who is the best in Thurston county. While I would put a WHOLE PAY CHECK on the blazers. Capital is looking pretty touch as well. With Erik Stevenson, Casson Rouse, Cole Hicks and Eli Morton. It’s going to be hard to put the powerhouse in their place. Capital’s stars Luke Layton, Chris Penner and Dawon Landers will need to huge games to pull an upset.
- Morton White/Pass vs. Napavine – Both teams walk in with zero losses on their record. The tigers have an uphill climb with this game. There key pieces Dawson and Peyton Stanley will need to have a big night shooting the ball. They will also need to figure out how to stop MATTHEW POQUETTE. He is a monster in the paint and on the perimeter. Most teams haven’t found an answer when guarding him. I don’t think the tigers will either. They will need to off set the fact Poquette might go for 30+ in this game.