The PHKY Staff was joined in Richmond Tuesday night by coaches from WKU, Morehead State, Belmont and Asbury. Everyone showed up hoping for a good game. We were treated to a blowout by the hosting Indians and a dominant performance by Junior Isaiah Cozart. Here are some quick takeaways from the game which Madison Central won 67-46.
- Isaiah Cozart continues to improve offensively. The 6-7 forward went 8-12 from the field (including a nasty follow dunk in the 3rd quarter). Cozart showed off post moves he didn’t used to possess. He added 10 rebounds and several blocks as well. He was recently offered by Morehead State and has offers from Winthrop and Eastern Kentucky also. Western Kentucky and Belmont were both waiting to talk to the big fella after the game too.
- Isaiah Minter needs some college looks. Asbury was waiting to talk to Minter after the game and there’s no doubt he can be a contributor at that level. Minter is a heady combo guard who can get buckets when needed. Isaiah is they type of player who can be a good NAIA D2 or D3 player.
Isaiah Minter (Photo Credit to Richmond Register)
- George Rogers Clark has a lot of talent but can’t handle adversity. GRC went down 8-2 early in the game and never showed any fight to get back. They trailed the entire game. Madison Central basically dominated the game from buzzer to buzzer. GRC is one of the most talented in the state and should run away with the 10th region but they will fall short of those goals if they can’t figure out how to play from behind. Eventually another team will punch them in the mouth like Madison Central did. It will be interesting to see how they respond then.
- Madison Central is a contender in the 11th. The Indians played lock down defense for most of the 32 minutes and absolutely stifled the Cardinal offense. It didn’t matter what Coach Josh Cook called, every shot was contested and second chance opportunities were limited. The thing that worries me is that Central only played 6 players until the very end of the game. That lack of depth can be a problem in the future if Coach Feldhaus doesn’t develop some quality beyond his top 6 players.
- The 10th Region looks a little more open than before. As stated before, GRC is almost everyone’s favorite to get to Rupp from the 10th. But suddenly they look more vulnerable. They only shot 33.3% as a team and it seemed like it was worse than that while watching it live. Brennan Canada was the only double figure scorer for them and it took 13 shots to get 12 points. They also got outrebounded 38-24. They are probably still favored, but the gap between the Cardinals and the rest of the 10th seems to be narrowing.