The Breakdown Tip-Off Classic often puts together some of the best players in the state going head to head. What are some of the top individual match-ups? Have a look today.
- Jarvis Omersa (Orono) vs Daniel Outru (CDH). If Oturu is healthy then Minnesota Gopher fans have their match-up of Jarvis against Oturu. The explosive playmaking Omersa taking on the low post stat stuffer Oturu. Two of the nation’s top 150 players going head to head if that ankle of Oturu is good to go.
- Jarivs Omersa (Orono) vs Sy Chatman (CDH). If we don’t get Jarvis and Daniel we will get Jarvis and Sy who are two of the most explosive players in the state of Minnesota at their position. Chatman scored 33 and beat Hopkins with Oturu out while Jarvis is coming off of a 18/17 game last Saturday.
- Matthew Hurt (JM) vs Shae Mitchell (Lakeville South). The five star doing everything Hurt takes on former 17U teammate Shae Mitchell who is headed to Wisconsin-Milwaukee next year. Mitchell has really matured as a player improving as a defender and confident finisher inside and out. Hurt is similar sized on the wing but has more advanced skills.
- Jalen Suggs (Minnehaha) vs Jarius Cook (Park Center). I would guess that Kaden Johnson will spent some time on Cook but the five star Suggs and future NDSU talent Jarius Cook will meet up several times making for one of the more entertaining guard match-ups of the day.
- Gabe Kalscheur (DeLaSalle) vs Anthony Davis (Hopkins). Mr Davis has something to prove and he can make a point with his defense against the future Gopher. Gabe scored 31 in the opener last weekend scoring in many different ways. Kalscheur is bigger, Davis is quicker. It’s a match-up of senior guards that have competed before, but not much in high school.
- Tre Jones (Apple Valley) vs Tayler Johnson (Minneapolis North). North will throw several different guys at Jones but when it comes to playmaking it will be the future Duke Blue Devil against the two time defending champ. Both Jones and Johnson had big summers on the 17u shoe circuits and now they get their year going in the late night game. Jones has that match-up with Jalen Suggs two nights before as well.
- JaVonni Bichkam (Minnehaha) vs Dain Dainja (Park Center). Bickham is one of the better high post players you will see using a dribble to create finishes plus he can play with his back to the basket. The future Denver U player is smaller than Dainja though so the 6-foot-8 Dainja will have a chance to use his size to his advantage. Dain is a sophomore while Bickham is a senior.
- Calvin Wishart (Delano) vs Nathan Rund (Fergus Falls). Wishart, who signed at Georgia Southern, is coming off a triple double where as Rund just led his team to a key win over Rocori. Wishart is a slippery playmaker where as Rund is a hard working, consistent leader who can handle, shoot, and defend.
- Brevyn Spann-Ford (St. Cloud Tech) vs Tyler Wahl (Lakeville North). Spann-Ford will take a break from the historic massive Gopher football official visit this weekend to take on Wahl, Tyler Lewko, and Lakeville North. Is Tech up for the challenge? This would be a massive win for them. Wahl is an explosive player off the dribble and moving off the ball were as Brevin is one of the state’s best two sport athletes.
- David Roddy (Breck) vs Logan Richter (Perham). Another guy who is a part of that huge Gopher visit is Richter. Logan is a good hooper who moves well and when he and Roddy collide it will look like a football hit. Roddy played last night nearly taking Breck to a win over Brooklyn Center. Roddy is skilled so he will play away from the hoop.
Others of Note.
Zach Theisen (Osseo) vs Jack Thompson (St. Thomas). From a playmaking standpoint.
Michael Jones (Woodbury) vs Jacob Beeninga (Wayzata). From a scoring standpoint.
Joe Hedstrom/Zeke Nnaji (Hopkins) vs DeLaSalle. Will the Islander size get it done or will they go with forwards like CJ Dickson and Jamison Battle?
Colton Codute (Orono) vs Ryan Larson (CDH). Great PG match-up.
Both Gach (Austin) vs Charle Jacob (Totino-Grace). Don’t forget about this match-up of top ten squads!
Connor Christensen (EP) vs Goodnews Kpegeol (NSP). This could be the sleeper match-up of the day.
Owen King (Caledonia) vs Michael Schaefer (St. Cloud Cathedral). This could be very fun. Different spots but in Class AA they could see each other.